If you smell gas Contact the National Gas Network 24 hour emergency service on
0800 111 999
Don’t smoke or strike matches
Don’t turn electrical switches on or off
Do put out naked flames
Do open doors and windows
Do keep people away from the affected area
Do turn off the meter at the control valve
Remember: Never DIY with gas, it's dangerous and illegal
All gas work should be carried out by a competent person registered with Gas-Safe
All oil work should be carried out by a competent person registered with OFTEC
What is carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide is known as the 'silent killer' because it's invisible and has no smell, taste or colour. It's a non-irritating poisonous gas which can kill quickly by removing the victim’s ability to help themselves by starving the body of oxygen. Carbon monoxide can be produced if:
Gas/oil appliances are not installed or maintained properly
Gas/oil appliances are broken or not working properly
Flues or chimneys become blocked
Rooms are not adequately ventilated.
Children, elderly people, pregnant women and people with respiratory problems are particularly at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning. The symptoms are similar to those of flu, and include tiredness, headaches, nausea, chest pains, sudden faintness, erratic behaviour, diarrhoea and stomach pains. The poison is cumulative, so a small concentration of Carbon Monoxide over a long period can prove fatal. The early signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include drowsiness, nausea, dizziness and headaches.
If you regularly suffer from any of these symptoms and have gas/oil appliances in your home, ask your doctor for a blood or breath test for carbon monoxide. If you are tested positively for the effects of carbon monoxide, you should immediately turn off your gas/oil appliances and arrange for them to be checked by a Gas-Safe or OFTEC registered installer.
You cannot see, smell or taste CO fumes leaving anyone exposed feeling unwell. In the worst situations, CO can kill without warning in just hours.
In addition to getting appliances checked, it is also important to ensure they are used correctly. When used, appliances must have access to a good supply of fresh air: CO is produced when there is not enough air for complete burning of the fuel.
Moreover, never use a gas/oil appliance if you think it’s not working properly. Signs to look out for on boilers, fires and cookers include:
Approved CO detectors are strongly recommended, although these must not be used as a substitute for regular checks and servicing by a CORGI or OFTEC registered installer.
The Carbon Monoxide Kills and Gas Guide web sites have more information or click here for links to The Health and Safety Executive website.
For complete safety of all occupants Blue Flame Heating Solutions recommend the fitting of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in all rooms containing gas boilers, warm air heaters or fires.
IS YOUR BOILER SAFE?
DO YOU HAVE THE CORRECT VENTILATION FOR YOUR FIRE?
TO ARRANGE A SAFETY CHECK, SERVICE or LANDLORDS CERTIFICATE
contact BLUE FLAME HEATING SOLUTIONS phone 01382 84 83 84 or
Click here to contact us